Illustration and Visual Narrative (WEEK 5-9)

07.05.2021 - 28.05.2021 (Week 5 - Week 9)
Haura Laiqa Naznin / 0345050 / Bachelors of Design in Creative Media
Illustration and Visual Narrative
Project 2

LECTURES

Week 5: No class, the teacher let us have an extra day off to work on our assignments.

Week 6: In this class we learned about perspective in composition. We also were briefed on our next assignment which was to create artwork based on a decisive moment in a piece of media of our choosing.

Week 7: No class.

Week 8: No class, independent learning week.

INSTRUCTIONS


<iframe src="https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1LqQa0zW3DopdwY28bAweWtbh0tl_YqvC?usp=sharing"width="640"height="480"></iframe>

Project 2: Decisive Moment


For this project, as stated previously, we had to illustrate a decisive moment in whatever media we choose that leaves the viewer feeling hyped up in anticipation for the next scene. I decided to choose a moment in one of my favorite anime, Kimetsu no Yaiba, where one of the main characters Zenitsu goes against a spider demon.


Figure 1.0 Sketch side by side to the original

In this scene, he showcases just how powerful he really is despite appearing as weak. He was also backed into a corner by the spider demon which made him finally snap and gain the courage to defeat it using his thunder attack.

Figure 1.1 Figuring out colors to use

We were told to be simple with our posters, so I looked up minimalistic movie posters for inspiration on how far I wanted to go with simplicity. I may want to add more details in some areas after all.

Figure 1.2 Minimalist poster

As for the animation aspect, I also wasn't sure if I wanted to go all out or simple. Simplicity would be best unless I wanted to really push and challenge myself.


Figure 1.3 Animated movie posters

These look just as great as a more complex animation would, and I am getting ideas on animating lightning onto my final piece. I would also love to attempt animating his clothes to sway a little too, at least experiment with it.

Figure 1.4 More progress before coloring

Before I jump into coloring I added in rocks from the original scene that flew up from the character breaking the ground, I thought that would be a neat detail to animate alongside other elements. I also added in shadows to really emphasize the scene, making it more interesting and dramatic.

Figure 1.5 Adding the title

The move that this character unleashes is called 'Thunderclap and Flash', so I decided to use that as the title.

Figure 1.6 Close to finalization

Figure 1.7 Final poster

Figure 1.8 Animating

For the animation, I decided to try out after effects instead of Photoshop to see how different and easy it is compared to it. It took some tries to get used to since I was very new to the program, yet a lot of Youtube tutorials helped me through this process.

Figure 1.9 Final Animation

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

MAJOR PROJECT

VEHICLE AND PROPS DESIGN

2023 PDW Reflection Report