TYPOGRAPHY (WEEK 5-7, TASK 2)

27.04.2021 - 11.05.21 (Week 5 - Week 7)
Haura Laiqa Naznin / 0345050 / Bachelors of Design in Creative Media
Typography
Task 2

LECTURES

Week 5 (27.04.2021)
Went through feedback concerning our spreads, either by Mr Vinod providing us feedback or from breakout rooms. We were then briefed on our future project to do with creating our own typeface.

Week 6 (04.05.2021)
Continued with reviewing the spreads we have created and giving feedback. Then Mr Vinod viewed our portfolios to give us general feedback about it.

Week 7 (11.05.2021)
Final review of our spreads and feedback on it as well. Afterwards we were introduced to deconstruction of letters in order to proceed with our task to create our own typeface. He showed us the layout to present the typefaces.


INSTRUCTIONS


Task 2: Text Formatting

Part 1: Kerning + Letter tracking

Figure 1.7 Changing the kerning increments from 20 to 5

Figure 1.8 Kerning letters

I chose to kern the letters N and a since they seem to be oddly far apart from each other.

Figure 1.9 Once kerning has been done on the letters 'N' and 'a'

Figure 2.0 Final kerning experiment

Once I was done kerning 'N' and 'a', I went ahead and did other letters that seemed to have weird spacing against each other to make my whole name look better.

Figure 2.1 Using different typefaces for my name

Font Size, Line-Length, Leading & Paragraph Spacing




Figure 2.2 Final result

Alignment, Paragraph Spacing, Text Fields & Ragging





Kerning one sentence to make the edges of the paragraphs more smoother. I did this with the rest of the uneven paragraphs.

Figure 2.3 Final result

Corss Alignment & Baseline Grid
 To achieve cross alignment, the baseline grid must be turned on.




Figure 2.4 Final result

Task 2 Formatting a spread



Figure 2.5 Sketches

Concept sketches for the spread, I decided to use the second set of text that Mr Vinod has provided since I had vague ideas on what I wanted to do with it.

Figure 2.6 Initial concept

This is the first attempt at putting it together on InDesign. I did the actual headline on Illustrator however.



Figure 2.7 Final concept

Figure 2.8 PDF version

FEEDBACK

For the first concept, the layout just wasn't interesting enough. After showing Mr Vinod the improved version which is the second concept he liked it better.


REFLECTION

This was a challenging assignment as I have never tried to properly put together a spread before. Choosing the typefaces was tricky since I wasn't sure what looked good with each other, however settled with what I used for my final.


FURTHER READING

N/A

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

MAJOR PROJECT

VEHICLE AND PROPS DESIGN

2023 PDW Reflection Report