VEHICLE AND PROPS DESIGN

01.04.2022 -  25.06.2022
Haura Laiqa Naznin / 0345050 / Bachelors of Design in Creative Media
Vehicle and Props Design

LECTURES

Week 1: We learned about the fundamentals and basics on how to draw out vehicles from scratch. References are very important!

Week 2: We continued to learn about the basics of breaking down a vehicle to its most simple shapes.

Week 3: Mr Kannan took a look at our sketches for some vehicles and gave feedback. He then explained what our first project was going to be like, having to choose a world and universe to design vehicles for and the process in doing so.

Week 4: No class.

Week 5: More feedback on our ongoing project sketches, teaching us on how to draw our vehicles in different perspectives by using the tools in the programs we use such as Photoshop. More thumbnailing and idea sketching.

Week 6: We now learned about materials and textures and how to apply and paint them onto our vehicles for later on. The focus was on different types of metals.

Week 7: Once again we are gathering mood boards and sketching out concepts to fit the universe we chose, whether its realistic or cartoony.

Week 8: Independent learning week.

Week 9: Feedback on our vehicle designs.

Week 10: Further feedback on our vehicle designs.

From week 11 and onwards, we continued to finalize our chosen vehicles and improved on it based on Mr. Kannan's feedback.


INSTRUCTIONS




EXERCISES


Figure 1.1 Sketches of land, air and sea vehicles


Figure 1.2 Compilation of exercises

Figure 1.3 Project 1 proposal

This would be my first round of sketches for my vehicle designs. I've never designed a complex item such as a car before, so this would definitely be a challenge. I wanted to go for a cartoony look for the end result but struggled a bit during this part. The first concepts I had just didn't make any sense either, so after feedback from Mr. Kannan about how to stylize my vehicles, I went back and changed up my idea entirely to be a food truck rather than a caravan.

Figure 1.4 Project 2 compilation

Out of all the vehicles I sketched out I decided to expand upon the land vehicle which would be the food truck. After further feedback sessions with Mr. Kannan, I improved upon the food truck design by stylizing it more and exaggerating certain elements. I also found a colour scheme that I liked at this point. Then it came to the interior, which was quite fun to figure out and map the area within inside of the truck as well as designing the props that belong in there,

Figure 1.5 Final Project

This is the final result for my chosen vehicle as well as it's interior and props.

Reflection

This module definitely took a bit to get used to, since I am not familiar at all with vehicle design at the start but I learnt so much from Mr. Kannan. The tips and guidance gave me confidence in designing vehicles now, even if my final isn't the best, it's still something I'm proud of. I learnt how to render properly as well as how to use basic shapes in order to build up a vehicle from scratch, which is something I always lacked in the past to do. It was fun to find references and gather ideas in order to sketch out concepts for each of the land, air and water vehicles.

I struggled less with this class compared to Mr. Kannan's anatomy class, despite my strong suit in drawing figures and people. Perhaps because we focused on drawing instead of having to 3d model something from the start which is not my forte. All in all I truly enjoyed this class!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

MAJOR PROJECT

2023 PDW Reflection Report