ADVANCED TYPOGRAPHY: FINAL COMPILATION AND REFLECTION

Week 14-15
Haura Laiqa Naznin / 0345050 / Bachelors of Design in Creative Media
Advanced Typography
Final Compilation and Reflection

Links

Task 1A & 1B: Typographic Systems + Type and Play

Task 2A & 2B: Key Artwork + Collaterals

Task 3: Type Exploration and Application



INSTRUCTIONS


TASK 1A - TYPOGRAPHIC SYSTEMS

Figure 1.0 Axial system

Figure 1.1 Bilateral System

Figure 1.2 Dilatational System

Figure 1.3 Grid System

Figure 1.4 Modular System

Figure 1.5 Radial System

Figure 1.6 Random System

Figure 1.7 Transitional System



Figure 1.8 Final typographic systems pdf

TASK 1B: TYPE & PLAY

Part 1: Finding Type
Figure 2.0 Finding letters in glass cracks (K, H, A, V)

Figure 2.1 Final Type & Play part 1

Figure 2.2 Final 'K'


Figure 2.3 Final 'H'

Figure 2.4 Final 'V'

Figure 2.5 Final 'A'

Figure 2.6 Final type & play pdf

Part 2: Type & Image

Figure 2.7 Final type & play part 2


Figure 2.8 Final type & play part 2 pdf

TASK 2A: KEY ARTWORK

Figure 2.9 Final key artwork


Figure 3.0 Final key artwork pdf

PART 2B: COLLATERAL

Figure 3.1 Final poster


Figure 3.2 Final poster pdf

Figure 3.3 Final flat lay

Figure 3.3 Final flat lay pdf

Figure 3.4 Animated invitation

TASK 3: TYPE EXPLORATION AND APPLICATION - FINAL PROJECT

Figure 3.5 Final comic book typeface

Figure 3.6 Final comic book typeface pdf

Figure 3.7 Typeface application


Figure 3.8 Typeface application pdf

REFLECTION

Experience
In the beginning of the semester, I was totally afraid of seeing what 'advanced' typography would be all about. It was an intimidating title and I wasn't sure if I'd really like the projects that were going to be given to us. To my surprise, it wasn't as bad as I thought, yet it was still really tough to experience these sudden new things that I had to learn like the systems and making collaterals. It was fun to experiment but I still struggle greatly with making typefaces at all, I'm still unsure of how others do it to be honest. But I learned so much from it nonetheless and see typography in a new light.

Observation
As stated before, I still struggle with making unique and cool typefaces. However from seeing how my classmates make theirs I get a lot of inspiration, not enough for me to completely imitate of course. Simply just an observation! I do wish I could have been more brave and confident with my work too. I work best with color rather than black and white which is why I found the key artwork project rather enjoyable.

Findings
Typography has taught me to appreciate the text written on my screen a whole lot more. It's way more complicated than what regular people think, especially with creating one! I had no idea how difficult it really is. Everything goes into design, from typefaces to colors and images - it all has to be put together harmoniously for an appealing look. Those who are not designers overlook the importance of text, I think, and this class certainly taught me otherwise.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

MAJOR PROJECT

VEHICLE AND PROPS DESIGN

2023 PDW Reflection Report